Church Health Ministry
And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God, and fell down on his face at his feet, giving him thanks: and he was a Samaritan. And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine? There are not found that returned to give glory to God, save this stranger. And he said unto him, Arise, go thy way: thy faith hath made thee whole. Luke 17: 15-19
ICHM works with church health ministry teams and parish nurses to promote wholistic care of body, mind, spirit, and relationship with people and the planet. We promote practices that deepen our faith and foster greater wholeness. The goal is to make faith-based health ministry an integral part of our health care system.
Parish/Faith Community Nursing
ICHM seeks to follow the examples of Jesus in faith and compassion and to build connections to ensure vibrant Health & Healing Ministries built on the following principles:
- Sharing ways to improve the health of body, mind, spirit.
- Providing opportunities to learn about health issues.
- Discussing health concerns, emphasizing early response and encouraging healthy lifestyles.
- Providing recommendations to existing healthcare and social services.
- Advocating to assist others obtain needed health services.
- Facilitating the development of support groups.
- Recognizing the gifts of others and supporting their ministries.
- Recognizing the link between faith and well-being of individuals and communities.
- Offering support and encouragement during times of crisis and celebration.
- Focusing on health promotion and disease prevention.
- Providing referral information, advocacy and coordination of services.
What is a Parish Nurse?
A parish nurse is a registered nurse with specialized knowledge, who is called to ministry and affirmed by a faith community to promote health, healing and wholeness. In order to practice safely and effectively in health ministry, the parish nurse should be able to demonstrate competence in a defined set of attitudes, knowledge and skills. These are identified as Parish Nursing Core Competencies.